The Department of Communication admits an average of six applicants each year for entry in the fall term, out of up to 110 applications.
For those admitted, the department normally provides teaching assistantships or non-teaching fellowships that include a full-tuition scholarship, medical insurance, free public transportation, and a stipend for teaching services or full-time research. First-year students with MA in hand are eligible to apply for three departmental $3,000 summer research support grants.
Students with assistantships begin in their first Fall Semester by teaching one section of Public Speaking in tandem with the Department's three-credit Teaching Practicum.
In the second semester of residency on assistant-ships, students teach two sections of public speaking and thereafter remain on a 1-2 or 2-1 teaching load for the duration of their funded offer.
Beyond teaching Public Speaking, there are a variety of other teaching opportunities within the department, such as teaching assistant positions in the large-lecture process courses and opportunities to design and implement standalone sections of courses below the 1000 level.
University of Pittsburgh Assistance
- Andrew Mellon Predoctoral Fellowships in the Humanities
- Chancellor’s Graduate Fellowships in Chinese Studies
- Cultural Studies Fellowships
- CANCELED due to COVID Donald B. Egolf Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships
- Graduate Tuition Scholarships
- Japanese Iron and Steel/Mitsubishi Graduate Fellowships in Japanese Studies
- Latin American Social and Public Policy Fellowships
- Leroy K. Irvis Fellowships for Students from Groups Underrepresented in the Academy
- Nationality Rooms Summer Travel Fellowships
- Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences Communication Summer Research Fellowship
- Pitt Alumni Association Graduate Awards
- Provost's Development Fund Fellowships
- Provost's Humanities Fellowships
- Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies Student Research Funds
- Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies Teaching Fellowships
- Travel funds (All non essential travel has been restricted for the university staff, faculty and students)
- Fellowship database and Career development
External Funding Sources
- American Association for University Women, American Dissertation Fellowships
- American Association for University Women, International Fellowships
- American Council of Learned Societies/Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowships
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
- Ford Foundation Diversity Fellowships, Predoctoral Fellowships
- Fulbright Doctoral Fellowships
- Pivot Database (many internal and external opportunities)
- Swann Foundation Fellowship (Library of Congress)
- Woodrow Wilson Foundation, Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships